You may be concerned that someone you know is in need of support. You may be facing mental health concerns yourself. You are not alone.
Reach out: Help is available
Know what to look for
Contact a mental health professional or call 1-800-784-2433 immediately if you or someone you know is experiencing one or more of the following:
- threatening to hurt or kill themselves, or talking of wanting to hurt or kill themselves,
- looking for ways to kill themselves by trying to get firearms, pills, or other potentially lethal instruments, and/or
- talking or writing about death, dying, or suicide (if these are out of the ordinary for the person).
Contact a mental health professional or call 1-800-784-2433 as soon as possible if you are concerned about someone who exhibits one or more of the following:
- experiencing overwhelming emotional pain and hopelessness,
- feeling hopeless,
- feeling rage or uncontrolled anger, and seeking revenge,
- acting reckless or engaging in risky activities, seemingly without thinking,
- feeling trapped, as if there were “no way out”,
- using alcohol or drugs increasingly,
- withdrawing from friends, family, and society,
- experiencing anxiety, agitation, or sleeplessness, or sleeping all the time,
- having dramatic mood changes, and/or
- feeling that there is no reason for living and having no sense of purpose in life.